Pre-planning a funeral is undoubtedly one of the biggest and most important decisions you will make in your lifetime. Whether it is for you or a loved one, the first step is obtaining all the necessary information to make an informed decision. Pre-planning a funeral allows individuals the opportunity to make personal and specific selections. Pre-planning has become an important part of estate planning, and is a means of sparing you and your family the emotional stress of making decisions during a difficult time.
Benefits of pre-planning funeral arrangements include:
- Allows individuals the opportunity to make personal and specific selections for the funeral service that most closely meets their needs;
- Spares loved ones from having to second-guess the wishes of the deceased at the time of need;
- Allows for time to research funeral homes, burial options, and financial considerations;
- Provides an option to set aside funds for final expenses, relieving family members of an unexpected financial burden;
- Medicaid/SSI recipients may set aside money to fund the service of their choice before their funds are exhausted down to necessary eligibility levels.
By pre-planning funeral arrangements, any doubts of your loved ones wishes are eliminated. It also gives your loved ones peace of mind knowing that they have spared you the additional stress of worrying about funeral expenses.